google.com, pub-6109943078000460, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

Yamaha R-S202BL Stereo Receiver

Bookmark and Share

Great features and impressive quality for the price!!!
Got this for my classroom. Not an audiophile by any means and certainly didn't need the latest greatest features (along with accompanying higher cost). For what I paid, $150 on Amazon before sales tax, I'm very impressed with what it offers and can do. Installed it in my classroom today. Connected it to a pair of old Sony bookshelf speakers which I got around 10 years ago. Specifically got this receiver because the old Onkyo I previously used (still working even though it must be from 1980s or 1990s) was unable to handle audio input from my classroom desktop computer even though I had gotten an adapter cable that had a 3.5mm jack on one end and two RCA (red/white) plugs on the other end. Wanted to use the bookshelf speakers instead of the weak external speakers provided by school for whenever I would need audio during a lesson, video clips, etc. to be heard by students at the back of the classroom. After setting up this receiver and putting it through its paces, I am pleased with its overall performance.

I connected my classroom's desktop computer to the receiver using that adapter cable previously mentioned and this receiver had no problems at all picking up the signal and transmitting it to my bookshelf speakers. Tried out the radio tuner and was pleasantly surprised by both how clear the sound quality is for many local stations (compared to the Onkyo I had previously been using) and for even decoding signals from distant stations (I'm using a spare cheap external FM radio antenna, not the wire antenna provided with this unit) which the previous Onkyo receiver (and even my car radio) can't pick up clearly if at all.

The Bluetooth feature is nice. There's a cheaper version of this receiver without the Bluetooth feature but I decided that the extra $20 was worth it for providing additional possibilities. Had no problem pairing this receiver with my Nexus 6 smartphone. No problems streaming music from my smartphone to the receiver.

Click Here to see more reviews about: Yamaha R-S202BL Stereo

So far, I've only encountered one problem. I thought about docking one star off for this problem but in the end decided not to do so because the overall functionality and performance of the receiver isn't significantly impaired by this issue. When I first powered up this receiver (after making all the necessary audio connections to speakers and computer), I thought I might have had a defective unit because I couldn't hear anything even though the volume was clearly set at 40 (out of a 0-99 scale). After some trial and error, what I discovered was that any setting below 45 is practically impossible to hear coming out of my speakers. Once I cranked up the volume to 50-55, sound was clearly discernible to anyone near the speakers. From 55-65, sound fills up my entire classroom nicely. From 65-75, it gets loud in my classroom and when I walked out into the hallway (and then continued walking down the hallway) I could hear the sound clearly from several classrooms away. I can only imagine how loud it might be (and how far the sound may travel) if I cranked up the volume beyond 75. So, for all intents and practical purposes, the sound on this unit works but I'm essentially navigating between 45 (quiet) and 80 (really loud) instead of the full range of 0-99. Like I said, functionality and performance doesn't seem to be impaired by this discrepancy, so I ultimately decided not to knock off a star. Not sure if this issue is particular to the specific unit I received or a recurring pattern in more units beyond mine. Not a deal-breaker and not worth going through the hassle of a merchandise exchange since it gets the job done.

Looking forward to seeing how well this unit works out for this coming school year (and hopefully for many years beyond). If anything should arise to warrant editing this review, then I'll update as needed.


 

Buy cheap Yamaha R-S202BL Stereo now.

You Might Also Like

{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment