Sony 7.2 Dolby Atmos Wi-Fi Network AV Receiver Home Theater Receiver

Bookmark and Share

Sony 7.2 Dolby Atmos Wi-Fi Network AV Receiver Home Theater Receiver (STRDN1080)

IN REAL LIFE USE IN MY MEDIA ROOM SETUP

(Gear: test source content Sony UBP-X800; display LG 75UH8500; custom Mirage MX-series x 8 + powered sub/JBL 3635 subs x3)

Starting with Dolby Atmos, I reconfigured my speaker array to take advantage of it. I installed an additional pair of speakers 20' up in my cathedral ceiling. Whether the source is actually Atmos encoded or not (and I don’t own a lot of content that is) the improved aural effect for everyday listening is a huge wow.

Note: Sony posted an answer to a user question if this has phono inputs. They said yes. Assuming the question is referring to an equalized low-level input from a turntable, IT DOES NOT. It has three pairs of legacy line-level RCA inputs but no dedicated phono turntable low-level inputs. To use a traditional turntable you would need to add a separate pre-amp.

While I welcome the Google Home compatibility I am displeased with the "format wars" with a major company like Sony choosing sides. Google Home is one of the newest and there is a huge established base of Echo users (not to mention Siri). Why not just be universally compatible with them all? I know Sony isn’t alone in the lack of universal control but as a world audio/video leader they could set a precedent.

Click Here to see more reviews about: Sony 7.2 Dolby Atmos Wi-Fi Network AV Receiver Home Theater Receiver

As far as audio quality enhancements, some are meaningful and if course some are marketing hype. While I can't do a real-time A/B comparison between this and previous generations of this series, I did play my usual audio "test" material in a same-day comparison on both receivers and I am very impressed with what I hear from the 1080. Their small tweaks ultimately do result in a perception of a more natural overall sound.

One appreciated feature is that Sony has dispensed of the odd specialized sound fields like the Berlin Philharmoniker, Concertgebouw Amsterdam and Musikverein Wien (which to me always sounded phony) and drilled back to those that really matter. The slimmed down sound field choices now represent real life sound environments like stereo, multi-channel, Dolby Surround, headphone (yes, really, a sound field dedicated to headphone listening), and a very few other fields, none with esoteric names.

One thing that intrigued me is DCAC EX ... I've used various "automatic" setup schemes since they were introduced and while I like the basic concept they baffled me how they could be totally accurate only using a mono microphone. Hint: they weren't. They gave a rough order of magnitude how loud each speaker is and even took a good guess at how far it was away from your listening position, but with a mono mic they couldn't really tell you if the speaker was too high or low or was too far to the right or left of optimum position or if the transducers were pointing right at you. Now equipped with a stereo microphone, DCAC EX is a significant improvement in making those calculations and attempts to autocorrect for positioning, aiming and phase. Does it work? Well, every room is different and my room is a definite challenge but I would say once you try it you will think previous methods are primitive by comparison.

A backward step considering how warm this receiver can get is that for some reason Sony reduced the surface area of the top vents almost by half. Looking inside the unit through the vents it appears there are less electronics inside. Maybe it runs cooler? I'll post some test results later on.

Coupled with the observations that the cabinet is smaller and there may also be less electronics inside the 1080. From my casual peek through the vent grill without opening the cabinet it does seem to have less electronics inside.

​Sony, who is usually so good at keeping their user interface simple yet useful certainly accomplishes the former with the included remote control (if you use it ... I have my system under Harmony/Alexa control). Unlike the remotes of some other brands that have dozens of tiny buttons that control nearly everything their device can do, Sony chooses to offer only 26 buttons (plus the D-pad array ... 2 more buttons than the previous model) that are permanently labeled, some of them for functions a user may only rarely, or never, use. At the least I would have preferred to have a dedicated button for each of the inputs. You CAN remap the button functions to almost anything you want (including one cool custom button that can remember your exact preferences) but of course the permanent labels remain. I did remap it so there is a dedicated button for each of the 6 HDMI inputs and also 2 audio-only inputs but I had to resort to using stick-on labels to help me remember what they are.

One more real-life observation has to do with setup. Like my previous Sony receiver you can choose (or not) to have the unit go through a guided setup procedure. Oddly, Sony gives the user an option if they want to start by setting up either the network or speakers first. I highly recommend choosing to do the network first. When you do, it will seem like nothing’s happening and you may think your unit is defective. Be patient, for some reason it takes a long time for it to do some internal preliminary adjustments. The problem is it doesn’t tell you in any way what it’s doing. After a couple of minutes it finally got to asking me what my preferred language is, which is typically the most basic question a new device asks. From there the next screen needs to have you make some choices. It is one of the very few screens on this unit that isn’t as clear as it should be. Having used Sony setup screens before I was able to breeze through the network setup in about 30 seconds after that and it worked the first time as it should. By default the receiver will prompt you when there are any software/firmware changes (you can turn that auto-prompt off) but it would have been nice if the first time you turn it on it confirms that everything is up to date. I had to check manually to be sure.

HOW DOES IT SOUND

Having worked extensively in pro recording studios I have a pretty good audio memory. My home system has had a wide range of the major brands of AV equipment installed over recent years. Since I installed this receiver immediately after pulling a similar Sony model that is still shown as current at their website I can offer an opinion if there are any changes for better or worse in overall sound quality. Before I do I'll mention that in MY system there was no visible improvement in video quality but I have to clarify that it’s possible that the 1080 is ahead of the curve compared to the rest of my system. But as far as sound, yes there is some good news. Before I added the upper speakers, playing the identical source in the same way, I perceive a bit more clarity. By that I don't mean sharpness or brilliance ... those are to me traits that Sony is known for (as opposed to the warmer more natural sound some other brands are known for). With this generation Sony has opted for a slightly warmer sound. Dialogue sounds more like human voices than electronic loudspeakers. Low-end bass from the subwoofers (I have 3) is slightly tighter and less boomy. Overall it's more of a fine tuning exercise from Sony than a radical shift in the "Sony sound"

USER FRIENDLINESS

Sony has chosen not to dazzle with a lot of blue lights, chrome and buzzwords emblazoned on the front of the receiver. The styling is basic black and very restrained. The buttons are tiny and hard to read by comparison to some other brands. The input selector and volume knobs have a smooth feeling but does anyone really use them rather than the remote control and excellent on-screen menu instead? The remote, by the way, has very few dedicated buttons but what it does have can be user-customized. I use neither, preferring to control my system with a Harmony Elite/Echo combination. Finally, the on-screen menu (GUI) first introduced in its current form on the 1050 and slightly updated on this model is as good as it gets … crisp high-resolution graphics, clear easy to understand wording, logical choices all make for a superb user experience. The setup section is especially good, where you can dig deep and then even deeper into fine tuning controls that are accompanied by icons representing your speaker locations (which it knows without you having to tell it). Most of the adjustments allow you to hear the results of the audio changes in real time. That may not sound like a big deal but another well-known brand switches the audio off during setup adjustments which makes it pale by comparison to the Sony.

Reversing a common trend lately of not including a user manual with their products (a $3000 Sony camera I bought recently only has a one page manual), this receiver has an impressive amount of printed documentation included.

BOTTOM LINE

I originally bought the STR-DN1050 because after a lot of shopping it seemed like the best value, all things considered. If you have a 1040, 1050, 1060 or 1070 the 1080 may not be the quantum leap to cause you to replace your old receiver. Moving up a few generations of this model is in some ways like upgrading the OS on your computer or smartphone ... the device still does the same basic thing but better with little improvements that make your experience that much better. If this is your first look at Sony and you are seeking a receiver that ticks (most of) the boxes in terms of being compatible and keeping up with technology, the 1080 is worth giving serious consideration.

Why a 5 rating then? Per guidelines I lean toward giving things I like a positive 4, rarely higher, with that extra point reserved for best of class. This receiver isn't in that best-of-best stratified league but it's hard to dispute that it is exceptionally high on overall value, functionality and usability and for those factors it earns 4+. Putting all those aside though, I believe Sony hits a home run here with what I call enjoyability of multimedia listening. It simply sounds better than any full-functioned multi-channel receiver I’ve owned when used for home theater, which is the way I'm using it ... more natural, more accurate and yes, more impressive. All that's important to me as I continue to update and upgrade my video components and I seek to keep up to speed on the audio side as well. To be sure this is not the best audiophile-grade MUSIC amp I've heard, far from it, but that's not what it's designed to be. But for home theater the score is 4.75

 

Buy cheap Sony 7.2 Dolby Atmos Wi-Fi Network AV Receiver Home Theater Receiver now.

You Might Also Like

{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment